Sunday, November 21, 2010

Randomness at it's best!

Making art in Hongdae



I grew my Christmas tree!!

Boys enjoying some bevies

Ms.Breanne and myself

Austin and the lovely Susannah
Austin et Moi

Another gathering of people and food at my place- I love it

Digging in!

Several bottles of wine later...


I decided to get off the beaten path one day and venture on a little solo exploration (which actually wasn't off the beaten path at all- just a place I had never been before alone, and for an extended period of time)....Hapjeong- as I've experienced it held some of the cutest cafes I've seen (and Korea isn't lacking cute cafes- they are everywhere!)...I did some walking, window shopping and ended up in Hongdae- a place that holds a bustling night life, but a place I'd never seen in the day. I must say...looks a lot different in the day light! It was busy, there were vendors all over, I didn't really enjoy it as much as I do at night (perhaps because night usually involves several cocktails of one kind or another). At night it looks/feels much more glamorous than in the day...I ended up venturing back through the Hapjeong area where I stopped for a Sangria and Veggie Sandwich at a quaint little cafe. I indulged myself in a Korean Magazine (for the pictures obviously) and just people watched, as the weather was perfect enough for the place to keep their big window open- twas perfect afternoon alone. Never would I have been brave enough to do that at home- eat alone?! SCARYYY....but here, now, it's liberating I feel!

With the holidays literally around the corner, I decided (with the help of a former teacher who left it here) to grow a Christmas tree! Haha...it took 6 hours to do and looked the nicest when it was first done (it's starting to look a little shabby now that I've had it for like 2 weeks...) I have no idea how it worked, but it was a cardboard tree you put a liquid in the bottom and as the cardboard soaked up the liquid, little crystal like branches formed- good enough for me. Fortunately I have a little Christmas tree here...although it certainly doesn't feel like Christmas at all. Around October in Canada is when Christmas decorations start popping up- here they have the SMALLEST amount of decorations- if any! It's so bizarre! Not to mention the still mild weather- I'm being thrown for a loop. This Christmas will definitely be interesting- my flight leaves for Thailand at like 830am Christmas morning....WOW! How pumped am I?!
For those of you who know me, I loveeee to cook, bake, and just take care of others (pretty much where the name Motha came from- few of you will understand this)....well living alone is horrible for any of the stuff I love. So I decided to invite a bunch of people over, again, for a little gathering of food, wine and company. It was definitely that- new teachers and old came over to my little place and we feasted on all the lovely randomness I whipped up from cabbage rolls to Kraft Dinner (classy I know but it's a luxury in Korea!)...I love being able to have friends over and take care of them (well their bellies atleast!).
Clearly the weekends continue to be a time to let loose and have fun. There's never a lack of social gatherings at different pubs, restaurants, bars, etc. I continue to meet great new people from all over- which I'm sure will be the case until I leave this beautiful place. Sure, like everywhere it has it's pros and cons- but the good definitely outweighs the bad. I knew this experience would be life changing, but I never imagined it could be this amazing!! xo








No comments:

Post a Comment