Saturday, September 7, 2013

Weinmarkt, Crown building, disco parties and more...

What an eventful week I've had. It seems like a blur right now. Niklas' parents are home from holidays and have been amazing all week - taking me places, helping to sort out all of my documents to stay here, showing me new things, and more! I can't stress how wonderful they are!

On Thursday night we ventured to the biggest fair in the area http://blasheimermarkt.de/ There were tons of rides, tons of 'fair food', a massive beer tent with entertainment, carnival games, fire works - all that you'd expect but more. 'Fair food' in Germany consists of a variety of things - fries (obviously with mayo), sausages, delicious pork on buns, crepes, etc. They had a bunch of little booths set up for drinking beer. It was just a great experience there. I can't even really compare it to anything back home because it was just better (and no I'm not being biased because I'm loving my German experience, it just was better. Period.)
 
 Huge Ferris Wheel
 
 
Overlooking the fair from the Ferris Wheel
 
 
This week I was also invited - with Niklas - to go, what Niklas told me before we left to "build something" with some farmers. I had NO idea what to expect and it was actually super cool. Apparently here (not sure if it's all of Germany or just this area?) the young farmers are responsible for building a 'crown' of sorts to present at Thanksgiving to the church. There were probably a dozen of us there, up in the barn loft, listening to music, drinking beers and assembling this 'crown'. Below I've posted a picture of ours and a picture of what it looks like (since our picture is a little dark). It was so nice to see all these people working together to bring this whole thing together!

Our crown above and a different version below
 

 
Last night was the first time I have actually been to a 'disco'. It was packed and there were tons of rooms with all different kinds of music. It was a good time. Met some new people. Dranks lots of free beer (it was 6 euro all you can drink beer), drank some jager - obviously. It was a good night out!
Today I spent the day with Nik's parents - he was working. They took me into Bielefeld to the Weinmarkt. It was a wine festival that was in the 'old' city. It's so beautiful here. http://www.bielefeld.de/en/attractions/highlightsc/ We drank some nice white wine, ate some delicious treats and people watched. We also did some shopping at one of the malls in the 'new' city area. The picture below is from the Bielefeld website that just shows a little bit of what the wine festival looked like.
 
This week I also got my first piece of mail! Haha...I get excited for mail when I'm in Canada, can you imagine how pumped I was, after only being here two weeks to get 'post'! It was a letter from my school for when I'll be starting class. Only thing I need is 15 Euro for the book. It's free for me to take German classes here (possibly because I'm taking it through the school I'll be teaching at?) Monday to Friday, 830-1230 . Needless to say I was excited for mail, but am even more excited to start class! :) I went to the library here and got a library card - yay! Why you say? Well obviously to take out some children books! Nik's mom came with me and she found one that's perfect - tons of different categories all laid out with pictures and the word next to it. We started going through them but after two pages I was so extremely tongue tied we took a break. Ohhhh Germany! Ich liebe dich! xo



No comments:

Post a Comment