Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Oh my baking adventures....

Well I'm currently in the midst of what I'd consider THE ultimate humiliating experience - baking for the first time in Germany. I just keep reminding myself that, this like many more hiccups I'll experience, is to make me laugh - not get upset. Who gets upset over a bad batch of cookies?! THIS GIRL! As absolutely ridiculous as that sounds I pride myself on baking some of the best cookies...and whatever keeps emerging from the oven here is....interesting. Apparently my converting/measuring/mixing/different ingredients combo has offered up some flat, burnt, cloud looking mounds of... I don't even know....perhaps the dog will appreciate them?

As I said, this is just another minor difference in this past week and a half. Other experiences I've had thus far: difference between bread and toast....no not toast from the toaster. I guess in Germany they consider the white/brown Dempster type bread usually kids adore as 'toast' for the toaster.
'Normal water' here is (to me) not normal at all - it's sparkling mineral water. I believe it's called natural water....which how adding bubbles to water is natural is beyond me... For all the things I'd consider 'different', 'strange', etc I'm sure Nik's family/friends are wondering what planet I came from with eating Ketchup on everything, wanting to drink the tap water, putting mayonnaise on my 'toast' when eating sandwiches, etc. Mayonnaise from what I've seen is what you dip your 'pommes' - fries in NOT for a sandwich condiment. They also wonder why I don't slather my bread with margarine. I swear the delicious cheese and meat and mounds of carbs I'm eating everyday here is going to be the death of me...or more like me rolling back to Canada.

I'm still adjusting to everything and loving it - I'm lucky to have Nik's family to help me along the way. His mother has been wonderful in helping me sort my paper work and get all the appropriate documents together to work - which I've gotten a job as a freelance teacher. Hopefully this is just the beginning. I'd love to hopefully find something fulltime. I will also start German classes the end of September which I'm very excited to start! In the mean time I'll hopefully get a bit better at getting out and actually exploring... I'm considering taking the bike - drahtesel - wire donkey out. Yes Nik and his friends have some slang word they say which literally translated means wire donkey... Oh Germany. Ich liebe dich xo

No comments:

Post a Comment