Wednesday, January 29, 2014

It's about time for an update....(part 1)

I haven't written since OCTOBER! Ya ya.... I owe you one about now. It's just so hard. I feel like every time I think about writing I find an excuse NOT to..... so here it goes (from what I can remember from wayyyy back when...)

The last post I had written I was very much looking forward to some upcoming things like Okotberfest and Niklas's birthday! Oktoberfest was great! So much fun! It was just in the small town I live near but there was still about 2000 people there! It was in a huge tent and we had 'VIP' so ate a really good meal before. There was tons of beer flowing, obviously we were in our finest Oktoberfest get-up as well. Niklas bought me my first dirndl! As soon as I put it on, I knew it was THE ONE (I guess I can now better understand when people try on their wedding dresses and know, it's THE ONE.... I guess). I wish it was a bit of a different colour seeing as it reminds me a bit of Christmas, but I still had to get it! :)
 
When I first bought it (I was pumped to try it on)
 
 
At Oktoberfest with Niklas in his Lederhose
 

Niklas's mom and I

 
Having lots of fun with our big German beers! :)
 
After our Oktoberfest activities were over, I had told Niklas's family I really wanted to do a traditional Canadian Thanksgiving, seeing as that's one of the best holidays in the year!! Well finding a turkey in Germany isn't exactly normal. Soooo they got one from a "Costco-like" store....boy was I surprised when they came home with a 15kg turkey! It was like a small naked child!! As if there wasn't enough pressure to cook this whole meal, now I had to do it with this enormous turkey! Well we decided that the best, and really only way to cook it would be to cut it in half. We saved the other half for Christmas. The thing about Germany is that their ovens aren't even really that big to begin with so having to even think about cooking this whole turkey would have been ridiculous. I was super impressed that I was able to pull the whole meal off without very much help! The menu consisted of turkey (which was amazing), sweet potatoes mashed with bacon and maple syrup (yep, from home!), regular mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, croissants, gravy, cranberries, cheesecake with blueberry/maple syrup reduction.... and I think that was all. I'm literally starving over here thinking about how good it all tasted!! Mmmm.....
 
 
The massive turkey!
 
After Thanksgiving came Niklas's birthday. He debated having a few friends over but after having spoken to one of his friends we decided to try and put together a surprise party for him! Not knowing all of his friends, I enlisted the help of the friends that I did know! Two of them are DJ's and volunteered to do the music. Another friend works for the company that has party equipment so he took care of turning the deele into a club (it was actually insane), his mom bought so much food and turned the deele into such a great space for the party and a few other friends occupied him at work.... well we got his boss to call him into work, but at the time there really was nothing to do except wash the tractor, yes, wash the tractor that would be going out into the field the next day to get dirty again. Luckily his friends were sneaky enough to go there and chat with him to distract him for a bit until some people came over. Let's just say we pulled it off pretty good!! It was so much fun and he really enjoyed the love from everyone! :)
 
The last few months also included two trips to Dortmund to visit my amazing friend Jasmin who is going to Uni in Dortmund. There is a 'Primark' there which I would say is the equivalent to Forever21. So much fun had in Dortmund from learning a new game (Looping Loouie), to taking part in an after bar teeter-tauter escapade (pretty sure it's the biggest teeter-tauter in the world). I also went to Cologne to meet up with my Korean partner in crime Susannah who came from Morocco to visit Germany! I wasn't able to see much of Cologne but we did see the Cathedral there and it was amazing!!! It was also so great to just be able to spend time and catch up with a dear friend I hadn't see in 4 years!! I wish we lived so much closer!! xo
 
 
Jasmin and I in Dortmund xo

 
Susannah and I in Cologne in front of the Dom Cathedral
 


 
Inside the Dom Cathedral, so beautiful!!

No comments:

Post a Comment