Sunday, March 7, 2010

The first whole week...done. Only 51 more weeks to go!!

Note the McDonalds, on this block there is also a KFC and Starbucks.
Top left picture is my school, the corner building (kind of hard to tell)




This is "Rodeo" drive (I believe that's what they refer to it as) It's a pedestrian road lined with shops and restaurants, across the street from my apartment
(Above is my apartment building)






OK...so this weekend I've come to a realization...I'm out of shape. Just about a year ago I would have considered myself to be in some what decent shape...apparently that's all changed. Instead of waiting for the, at times, ridiculously long elevator to make it's decent...I decided to climb the stairs to my 8th floor apartment...WOW!! Hahaha...about the 6th floor I came to this realization- me+in shape= no more. I am vowing, solomly from now on I will climb the stairs. However, with that being said under 2 pretenses I will not climb the stairs- extreme inhebriation and carrying groceries. SOOO starting tomorrow my stair journey commences....
This weekend got off to a good start- dinner and drinks with fellow teachers. Dinner was delcious!! As was the soju and beers....after dinner we went to this bar called Bier Garten (Beer Garden)...I'm upset I didnt have my camera- which I will promise to carry with me from now on. The tables at this place had little cooly cups built into the table that you turned on to keep your beers cold- convienent. But the beers weren't normal...you could choose a single, double or triple (not sure if they got bigger than that...). The beer then came in these vase like glasses which were abnormally shaped- again picture would make this clear. Either way, from that bar we were all feeling lovely and decided to hit up the norebong (spelling?). Any guesses on what that entailed????....Kareoke. Yes, Koreans love their Kareoke. You get set up in this little private room complete with a huge couch and big flat screen tv. There is a big remote looking device that you then punch the numbers in for the songs you want. Admittedly I was having a hard time reading the songs initially- soju got the best of me....It was definitely one for the books and for sure a memorable first "night out" in Korea. Perfect ending to my first week at school! The rest of the weekend was low key- I ventured out on several occasions to scope out the area a bit more and take a few pictures...just a few. I'm still a little camera shy- I don't want people to think I'm the paparazzi trying to snap pics of them...I'm afraid some people might be insulted. Either way I will post my pictures....hope you enjoy!! Like the title says, only 51 more weeks until I return to Canada...at this point it can't come fast enough. I'm getting some what homesick... in my attempt to feel a bit better I plastered my apartment with pictures of friends and family. Not too sure if this helped or makes me feel more sad. I know I know....everyone keeps saying NOTHING will change this year when I'm away...but it will! I'll miss out on the Brooklin Fair, The Hoedown, Havelock, Cottage times, Ottawa adventures/Pembroke ones too, Grand Benders, visiting friends around Ontario, crazy nights at Jack Rabbits, summer patios in downtown Windsor, party times in London, the birth of one of my best friends first baby (which I'm telling everyone now I know it's a girl)....amoung many many other fantastic things. There's nothing more that I want right now than to be able to phone up my best friend- gossip about the latest and greatest news....I guess I just have to look at it this way- I'm making new and amazing memories, ones that wouldn't even come close to happening in Canada. I'm meeting people, exploring a culture opposite of my own, battling language barriers AND to top it all off, I'm TEACHING- something I've longed for back home. As many people have put it, I'll just have to keep my chin up! Hopefully, HOPEFULLY at some point or another I'll host visitor(s) from home. I'm already looking forward to when my parents come and I'm definitely looking forward to when another AMAZING couple take the leap and come over to teach in September. I'm sure this year will fly by- but until then I'll take comfort in the little things- like McFlurry's which p.s. are delicious here, FINALLY something that tastes like home. (please note the different flavours: green tea McFlurry, chocolate berry, oreo and CHOCOLATE oreo....A little piece of heaven).....xo (p.s. I'm still getting used to this blogging thing....don't mind the pictures at the top- next time I'll know better)

No comments:

Post a Comment