Thursday, March 4, 2010

First week is almost over...

Tomorrow is Friday- pretty pumped about that. No not because I have hot plans for the weekend...but so I can just have a day to myself!! No chaotic children screaming and running around- although I admit they are extremely cute. I'm sure by Sunday I will be wishing I was back at school. You see, I don't know what I'm going to do with myself this weekend...I'm sure I could travel to meet one of my fellow Canadian teachers somewhere, wherever they may be in Korea- but I'm a little nervous to travel out of here....my little comfort zone. (I'm still getting used to crossing the crazy roads here..) The subway is easy and in English...but I'm scared! I've only been within the couple of blocks that are around my house, with the except of my sweeeeeet trip to Costco last night, which by the way...was amazing! Who knows what this weekend will bring...I'm sure I'll update after it's over....

SOOOOOooo the first week. Well it was definitely eye opening! Yes the booger incident was thus far an isolated one...thankfully!! But what I didn't realize is that I would be teaching many grade levels, many different subjects. I thought I signed up for 4 year olds...which I do have, but until 210pm...after that it's a toss up. HOWEVER, that being said- I actually enjoy my afternoons much better!! I get to teach grades 1, 2 and 4. (Science, reading, grammar, DEBATE?!) The kids are great! Sure there are the "trouble makers"- the ones that say things like (and this is quoting them...) "Hey Miss, this class isn't called Birch class, it's called Bitch class" (each room is a different tree name..) or else how about the child that, when I turned my back said "F*ck you"....ahhhh the sweet children. Hahaha...no worries- I stomped on both of them. I'm sure I possibly even made a kid or two pee their pants, but they now know that just because I'm new, does NOT mean I'm easy or naive. I know how they roll- they will take advantage of the easy teachers, chew you up and spit you out- but hey, what kid wouldn't?? So ya- school is good, but busy!! Which has it's ups and downs...long days go by fast making Canada that much closer- but then again, I do love aspects of it here!!! Bittersweet...

Yes, as I'm constantly being reminded, I have yet to take a picture outside my apartment...I know people are eager to see what I see each day- so I promise, if I do nothing else this weekend it will be get some pictures! Not to mention I bought a sweet new camera for my journey and really need to put it to use!!

Ok a few side notes....COSTCO!!! A little bit of Western comfort right here in Korea- only a 10 min subway ride from my house. It's pretty much identical to ones back home!!! Which is great for things like (and these are things I bought...)....industrial sized tubs of salsa, 10lbs brick of REAL CHEESE and a 50 count pack of soft tortillas....sure I may be exaggerating slightly, but it's still amazingness. ALSO they sell real pizza there- a luxury in Korea (most pizza places here put corn on their pizzas? I have yet to try this...) So after my adventure to Costco last night I came home and did a load of laundry...well good thing I packed as much stuff as I did because without a dryer it's been 24 hours and my clothes are still as though they were washed an hour ago- soaked!! I may need to come up with an alternative drying method....blow dryer???....

1 comment: