Sunday, April 4, 2010

Korea overload...

Warning: there is no part of this post that is meant to be offensive, just sayin'-

So I've spent the last 5 weeks taking in my surroundings, trying the food, amazed by the people..etc. Well this weekend I've come to the realization that it's going to be a long year- in a sense that I will always be the white girl walking around probably picking up very little Korean in the time that I'm here; having no idea what people are saying, what I'm watching and what I'm listening to. I go into stores, look blankly at the people I'm paying and it bothers me. Back home I joke around with people, I talk to random strangers over silly things, I'm such an alien here- I even have a card to prove it! (ARC- Alien Registration Card, manditory) I was discussing this with my fellow teachers- reverse culture shock. When I get back to Canada it's going to be overload. I will know what people are saying on tv, out and about, on the radio- it's going to be intense. Honestly, it's so hard to describe the feeling I have here right now, one would need to be here to actually feel this, and honestly it hit me today. So now what? I can either embrace it, or hate it. Embracing it was the path I chose and as I was walking down the street I decided that instead of putting my head down (how I usually walk here for fear that I will stick out if I look up), I walked tall and confidently. As I did so, it actually made me laugh a little, I walked past a store that was blasting Kesha- Tick Tock. How appropriate seeing as the song starts out, "Wake up in the morning feeling like P Diddy, Got my glasses- I'm out the door- I'm gunna hit the city.." Ok so maybeee I don't feel like P Diddy, but I thought the second part was fitting- "I'm out the door, I'm gunna hit the city"...my new motto. I'm here for a year and I'm going to love it up! Sure I'm homesick and a little sad but, I'm going to travel (another teacher is working on a China trip), I'm looking into taking Korean classes, I'm getting out and making friends- I'm taking initiative to make myself happy because if I don't, who will? From January 1st, 2010 I said I was on a mission to make MYSELF happy this year, whether or not that sounds selfish, I'm sorry. BUT I truly believe, if you can't make yourself happy, how can you make others happy?.....sorry to rant....

Soooo....this past week was interesting. Started my week off Monday going for dinner at an "All you can eat tuna place"...I probably ate a whole tuna- at the time pretty great, thinking about it now...mmmm...no. I mean it was delicious, but eating that much RAW fish, probably won't happen again. While I was there I decided I should probably indulge in some of the extras- fish eye ball shots, and actually eating the outter sides of the fish eye- mmmmm. The fish shots were like soju, but thick. I don't know if they blended up the eye?? Maybe, possibly took some of the fish eye ball slim to make it?? No idea- but it was...odd. Taste? Honestly I didnt breathe out of my nose and I chased it with beer....hey- I said I would try odd things, not that I would taste/savour them! The other part of the fish eye though, I took the time to chew it, think about it...it was chewy alright!! Like a little piece of rubber, not horrible, just odd. Anddd moving on. Tuesday I spent my night finishing my report card comments for my afternoon children. I'm able to do this from home, super convienent, but just that I worked for 2 1/2 hours- from home. Meh...I'd take that over feeling pressured at work to get it all done, plus it's quiet at home which makes for easy work AND laying in bed to do it....nice. Thursday I ventured into Itaewan for the first time with some fellow teachers! It was a really nice change- it's where the US military base is so it caters to westerners. We ate at this delicious Indian restaurant...mmmm butter chicken, prawn vindaloo, garlic naan bread- so good!! Apparently they have a great buffet, which we went for, but it's only available on weekends- I'd go back to check it out for sure! While there, we discussed going for a few drinks after- the other teachers had a friend visiting and they wanted to show him around a bit. Well how convienent- across the street there was a bar that had big signs that read "Thursdays ladies drink free"...pshh I was game! Draw back? Well we didn't know until we got in...haha...it was a sight to see! Not that there's anything wrong with what was going on... let me put it this way- I felt like I was in a club in Detroit (well what I think it would be like..)- like I said, NOT that there's ANYTHING wrong with that... BUT when you're one of 4 girls in the place...THE ENTIRE PLACE filled with US military dudes, it was a bit intimidating. I was loving up the tunes, brought me back to my good old Voodoo days...but like I said- intimidating. I must say though- a much better choice than the bar we had dinner over top of- a tranny bar? Hmmmm...
Andd moving on- Friday was great! Sun was shining and I decided that I was going to put my big girl pants on and take the subway, alone, for the first time. Great success! I met up with a friend in Ilsan (ok so only 4 stops away- hey this is all new to a county girl!) We went to a little place for drinks, some other teachers met up with us, then we hit up another place for some dance time. It was a great night! Met a fellow Canadian there- from Sask. Hung out all night, a lovely adventure....rest of the weekend was low key. I did a lot of skyping- something I'm looking forward to come the weekends. I love being able to see my friends and family. Hearing from them is just great! It's that little bit of home, right here in Korea- speaking of that...I need to share this little story:
Last weekend I went to a second hand store here in Hwajung- just to check it out (hey ya never know the treasures you can find in these places, especially in Korea?) So I saw some pretty sweet steals- leopard print, velour jogging pants. OK I opted not to get those. BUT I did find a cute little Billabong coat. I scooped it up, brought it home and washed it. Well I put it on Saturday afternoon to head out- in my head I thought, "Wouldn't it be cool to find money in the pockets" because I had yet to check them all out....Not that I found millions, but it was even better. There was a loonie in one of the little pockets- weird. It put the biggest smile on my face, and thinking about it, I'm still smiling. OK OK, not a huge deal, but it's the little things in life- right? I'm in Korea, buying a used coat and find a loonie in the pocket...I will never spend that loonie, ever. xo

(Side note: I just want to say a BIG congrats to two of my friends- Patricia and Ian....I couldnt be more honoured to be included in your big day guys...so happy for you both!!!!! xoxo)

No comments:

Post a Comment